Wednesday, March 2, 2011

In Class on Tues. 3/1 Amy introduced Decimals and Rational Numbers.When dealing with Decimals and Rational numbers you are to always keep in mind the place value of where the digits are located. A little tip to keep in mind is that any numbers to the right of the decimal point ALL have (ths) at the end of the place value.  Versus to the left having (ands,ed.etc)


Decimals: Any number written in base ten positional numeration can be called and considered a decimal
Rational Number:Any number that can be written in the form a/b, where b=/=0 and a and b are intergers, is what is called and considered rational numbers.Below is a link to a site to look into if you need additional help
http://cstl.syr.edu/fipse/decunit/opdec/opdec.htm

We learned how to write numbers in Expanded Notation for example
123.45= 1(100)+2(10)+3(1)+4(1/10)+5(1/100)
also in Exponential Notation
123.45= 1(10^2)+2(10^1)+3(10^0)+4(10^-1)+5(10^-2)

We also learned about place values.
Example 123.456
3 is in the ones place
4 is tenths place
5 is hundredths place
6 is in the thousandths place

7 comments:

  1. I think it is really important that you pointed out how in decimals the place values end in th. I think it's easy for kids to forget this. Also the picture you used is really helpful. It shows what ever number actually means.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tip about the "ths" only to the right of the decimal point. When I was looking up information about decimal places I also came upon this photo and and really helped to refresh my memory of the place values. I think it is weird that a lot of things in math are linked together, like the base 10, its crazy to think about how all this stuff was found to work too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you really recaped the highlights of the lesson well. I hadn't thought of "Any number written in base ten positional numeration can be called and considered a decimal" before. I only really consitered numbers with an actual decimal point a decimal number. 32.4, yes, 32, no. Good point!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The picture you found is perfect! I sometimes have trouble remembering to but the "ths" on the end of written out numbers to the right of the decimal, and remembering how to spell them for that matter! I also think it's important to remember when there is a question asking about the place value of a number, to look at ALL place values the number is at, not only the places after the decimal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the picture you found. It shows clearly what place values of numbers before and after the decimal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Lacey, Its good that you commented on how that the decimal place values all end in ths. I feel like a lot of people get confused on that. Also the picture that you have is really good to help students understand what the place values are called. It could also help them compare the differences between the hundred place value and the hundredth place value! I know it helped me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. https://dewwool.com/perimeter-of-a-sector-formula/

    ReplyDelete